Is Black Walnut Poisonous to Horses? Yes!
Is Black Walnut Poisonous to Horses? Yes, Absolutely!

Black Walnut is Toxic to Horses

Black Walnut Poison to Horses
Black Walnut (Juglans nigra)

Black walnut in any form must not be used for horses because it can be extremely toxic. Even short periods of contact with the plant material or a minute amount ingested can cause disastrous results, even death!

Black walnut is poisonous to horses. Juglone the phenolic compound found in the wood bark, the fruit that is a nut and roots is highly toxic to horses.

Don't learn the hard way, exposing a horse to the wrong kind of wood shavings can be a health nightmare. Make sure you know what's in the shavings or sawdust you buy. If they are even slightly contaminated, by less than 20% it can cause poisoning in under 24 hours.

A horse internally or externally exposed to Black walnut can exhibit depression, lethargy, laminitis, distal limb edema, and increased temperature, fever and abnormal respiration rate, abdominal sounds, respiratory problems, increased hoof temperature and abnormal digital pulse. Internal consumption may also cause signs of colic. A horse on pasture may even be sensitive to pollen or fallen leaves from a black walnut tree and develop respiratory problems. Reactions can also include hair loss and skin irritation.
Recommendations:
For keeping horses healthy the natural way, we recommend using Pet Remedy Charts, a Step-by-Step Holistic Home Healthcare System that will enable you to naturally treat your horse at home (without drugs) using safe, side effect free healing methods for
horses.

Stacks Image 3706